November 6, 2007

When Kevin Garnett walked off the floor last Friday night, he looked up either at someone in particular or the crowd in general , raised one finger in the air, and said simply - "that's one". With that gesture the new era of Celtic's basketball officially began. My guess is that is how it will be with this team, one game at a time. Now I know teams always say stuff like that but infrequently do they actually mean it or more importantly practice it. This however is a different bunch. Both Garnett and Allen are quick to talk about the process. Quick to point out that each game is it's own individual battle ; to be prepared for, won, and then savored. These guys are in no hurry to get to April, May June, or whatever fate has in store for them. They are going to enjoy the process. It was evident on Sunday in Toronto. They played like it meant everything, not like it was just 2 of 82. This attitude, which is displayed best by the two newcomers, will make for some very satisfying nights not only in the garden but in buildings throughout the league. There are few more satisfying moments in the NBA than winning on the road. These Celtics are going to have more than their share of them.

2 comments:

Rupac real sports guy said...

Mike, let me start off with what an honor it is to be on your blog. What a time to be a sports fan in Beantown right now.In fact that is what my focus has been for the last few weeks. Although I cover all major sports, the Celtics are where my heart is. I have bled green ever since I can remember, only to be too young to realize the legendary rivarly w/ the Lakers in the 80's was one for the ages. Growing up I just assumed the Celtics w/ 16 banners hanging would always be relevant in the N.B.A..Larry "Legend" couldn't steal the ball every year and other teams came into the fold. As I eagerly waited for the Dino Radja era to begin I slowly came to reality. Speaking of the 80's who knew a key member of those great squads would bring the excitement back onto Causeway St..Danny Ainge who I questioned in earlier times for shunning my affection for Antoine Walker, now deserves General Manager of the Year like NOW! I thought the watered down Eastern Conference was a dream come true. Having Antoine and a young Paul "Truth" Pierce battle Jersey years back was our only chance back in to big show. Then even if we lost to the more talented Lakers, well at least....we..were..there? How can I bleed green and type that I know, but it was my true feelings at the time. Our #5 pick this year went to the smoothest player I have seen in some time Ray "Jesus" Allen. Now with the"Big Ticket" in town you can forget about having any loser mentality any longer. Opening night had so much emotion in that building I was near happy tears after the "red" ceremony. That emotion carried them over Agent "0" Gilbert Arenas prediction earlier this fall. The Toronto win was the most impressive to me. The reigning Atlantic Division champion Raptors came at us just as expected. Hanging tough with heavy foul trouble they didn't fight over the last shot like younger stars may have.Personally I think you hit the nail in your blog with outside media perspective. The new "Big 3" or whatever the kids are calling them these days are mature and more than ready to win. Ray has ice water in his veins thank Tommy for that one and K.G.'s basketball I.Q. to play all game in foul trouble and not let up. Well of course K.G. doesn't know how to "let up" even on the bench. Then beating a very talented Denver Nugget team badly makes me think about what Ray Allen stated during their introduction. Ray wanted other N.B.A. teams to look around the Garden and be scared! What a feeling that was when he said that and to see it now take place is simply amazing.I am so proud of Paul last night passing like the man you were sitting next to....not Tommy! The passing was the thing that stood out to me the most. The bench was a solid group in pre-season to me and still is with a healthy Tony Allen bringing energy into the game. James Posey is just a delight with his intangibles > taking charges etc. Eddie House can shoot the lights out as well as a reasonable ball handler. Scott Pollard with all of his post-season expierence needs to stay healthy as well. Now my new favorite Celtic now that Ryan Gomes has left is "Big Baby". What are your thoughts on his chances of playing more of a role this season? Sorry for writing a novel but the excitement of this season and the oppurtunity to speak to THE Mike Gorman I couldn't stop. Be back soon. next up old pal Joe Johnson and the Atlanta Hawks.

Mike Gorman said...

You're right on with Davis.... he could well turn out to be Danny's latest second round steal.....